Love God+love people>anything else we can ever do…

I've been here before...
Reading Jesus’ words and coming across a familiar passage. I am a true believer in the saying that words speak louder to you depending on the situation or season that you are currently experiencing in your life.

I personally feel as if I am in a season of struggle right now. I have a lot of questions that aren't really being answered right now and so I turn to the Word to seek some truth. As I am reading Mark 12:28-34 I am being told by Jesus that I have to love Him with everything.

Everything……

Even in my struggle, God wants me to love Him with everything..

That is a big word to use when it comes to love.

I love God, I love Jesus, I love my wife, I love pepperoni pizza...

But sometimes I don’t love with everything. I honestly don’t know what loving with everything even looks like. To make it even deeper, Jesus then says that I also have to love other people as much as I love Him.

That's hard...

What’s even more challenging is that Jesus then says that if I love God and people with everything, then the Kingdom is near me. 
If I struggle with loving God with everything, loving my wife with everything, and loving others with everything, does that mean that I am not a “good Christian?” I don't know. Being good isn’t really a goal that is attainable on this side of eternity apart from God. With all of the sin that is around me on a daily basis, it is impossible for me to attain “good” status.

I say this not to bash myself or anyone reading but to point this back to God. Being good (whatever that means) isn’t what God desires for me or you. What God wants from me is obedience. He promises me in His Word that His grace is sufficient for me (2 cor 12:9). When I fail, when I mess up, God’s grace picks up the slack.

Without obedience there is no grace...

Let that marinate...


God desires for us to pursue love for Him and others. When we are being obedient and pursuing love, God is more then able to cover our short comings and fill the void that sin has created in our lives.

When Jesus encountered the teacher of the law in mark 12:28 this guy wasn’t perfect. He was as messed up as you and I are. But he had the desire to be obedient to God’s law and commands and because of that, God’s grace lifted him and met him where he was at.
Where is God calling you to be obedient today? Take some time to seek Him and hear Him.

Grace to you all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the beginning...

Race and Prejudice...

Man Card...