Newness

I love new things.

I love new clothes, new fitted hats, and a fresh pair of new kicks. Lets just say that I love when things are new.

I also love when God brings new opportunities in our lives to pursue a dream. Recently God has done that in my life. He's been moving subtly and strategically and has placed some pretty cool opportunities on my plate.

Now the main reason why I love new things is because of what Jesus said in Revelation 21:5 "See I am making all things new." (NLV)

In the midst of all of these opportunities I find myself asking one question: how do I handle the new things that God places in my life?

Now I know that it sounds like an easy question to answer, but if you look deeply and carefully at it, it makes you think. How do I handle new things?

As a child when I would get a new toy, I would get excited and play with it for hours on end. The result from that would usually end up being a broken toy.

I share this with you all because I feel that when God gives us new things, if we aren't careful with it, we can ruin it as well.

A new relationship if moving too fast, can end up being a big mistake.
A new car if driven in a nonchalant manner, can end up as a deadly weapon.
A new job if it becomes all you live and breathe for, can become an idol in your life that destroys your relationships with your family.

It is very important that we treat new things with the proper perspective and context that they require.

Well what is that context? What is that perspective?

Perspective is how you view things. It's how you process what is going on around you and how you put it to work in your life. Example: If you get a new job that has a boss who wants you working at all hours of the night and you are struggling with how to find time for your job and your family,  perspective is knowing that if you leave your job at your job and you invest in the relationships that matter most in your life, you can find a proper balance. If your job is taking away too much of you and leaving crumbs for your family, you quit. You can always find a new job or career. You can't find a new family. Putting things in its proper perspective is key when you have new opportunities popping up in your life.

The reason for that is because God desires for us to delight in Him at all times, especially when new things pop up. He wants us to give Him glory and thanks for everything that comes our way. So lets remember to keep newness in its context and put it in its proper place.

I can't wait to share what God has going on in my life. I will do so soon. Until then, what are some new things that God is doing in your life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the beginning...

Race and Prejudice...

Man Card...