Authenticity... Is it a catch phrase that we use, or does it define our lives?

Authenticity is a word that is very "scene" right now. Everyone is throwing the word around due to its popularity.

And you know what? I can understand that. I mean if something is catchy, don't we want to make sure that we promote it, establish it and reflect it? 

Of course we do. 

But in the midst of marketing campaigns and new slogans, there is one big question that I don't see being answered.

Are we really living authentic lives?

Or are we just using that word because it is a word that draws in our culture today.

I ask that question because I see it talked about, but I don't really see it being lived out. 

And I mean, I can understand why many of us, especially some of us church leaders, don't want to truly be authentic. 

Because being authentic, hurts.

For the past two years, I've worked hard on getting better at being authentic with the people that I lead with and lead over as well as my family and friends. I've adopted the phrase, "Im'a be real with you, you be real with me." 

Being from Brooklyn, that was the code of the streets, and I desire that in all of my relationships.

And if we are gonna be real, authenticity brings many things with it. One of which is vulnerability.  

You see we all struggle with being vulnerable with one another. And a big reason behind that is because we don't want to lose power. 

As leaders, we like to have power over people and situations. Once we let our guard down, we lose that power that we previously had. And we don't like that. 

I believe that being vulnerable is the biggest/scariest thing a leader can be. 

And because of that, leaders are afraid to be vulnerable. So we choose an alternate way of living.

We put up a facade, a mask of sorts, and we sell a counterfeit version of ourselves to the people that we lead over. 

But yet we expect those same people to be real with us in every way possible. 

#Doublestandard

There's a word for that, and its called hypocrisy. 

When we live that way, we are being hypocrites to everyone around us. 

And to be frank... 

Jesus doesn't need anymore hypocrites. 

He needs leaders who lead from authenticity. 

We need to stop being afraid to let people see us for who we are. 

If we are hurting, show that we are hurting. How can we expect to be blessed by someone if we hide from them?

If our expectations for our people are to let their guard down and come to us, we too need to have that same mindset. 

We can't be afraid to let people see our hurt because people can relate with hurt more than they can relate with anything else. 

Think about it.

God didn't use the perfection of Jesus to draw people to Him.

God used the pain of the cross to draw people to Him.

So if God himself can use His pain to draw us to Him, think about what God can do through us if we let others see our pain?

I know that in the past I struggled with being authentic and real with some people and I apologize for that. My desire is to be the most authentic person that I can be. Flaws and all. 

And my hope is that you to, will have that same desire.

Let's start being real with each other...

Real recognizes real. 

Take of the mask.

Deuces.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the beginning...

Race and Prejudice...

Man Card...